[lbo-talk] Dean: "Maliki is an anti-semite"

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu Jul 27 07:40:24 PDT 2006

At around 27/7/06 12:17 am, Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
> mike larkin wrote:
>>
>> Do they even think for a second this will work? What
>> are they smoking?
>
> Well it seems to be something the American people are ready to bite, if
> one believes the latest Gallup Poll regarding Lebanon....

I think not. It is one thing for the public to support Israel against Arabs/Muslims (enemy of my enemy, plus Israelis look more like me and worship a god close enough to mine). Dem/GOP positions on Israel will have, I think, not much effect when it comes to U.S elections, other than on the American Jewish vote.

For example, USA/Gallup found that 65% (of U.Sers) want the U.S to support neither side. Surprisingly, while a majority of U.Sers oppose U.S intervention (IIRC) they are instead in favour of our participation in an international force.

My guess is that the Democrats are (a) using this as a way to look muscular and criticize the GOP on its strength, (b) playing to their Jewish/Zionist base (Dershowitz-liberals).

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/