[lbo-talk] Fwd: Notes from the Siege 9&10

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jul 27 08:48:41 PDT 2006

Chris:

Saying Eastern European Jews were a nation doesn't imply they need a homeland in any case. Although as we know much ink was spilled on this in the Soviet Union.

[WS:] I agree. Add to it that unassimilated Jewish settlements had considerable level of self-governance that was relatively separate from the authority governing the rest of the country. I think this situation can be compared to that of the American Indians today, which are considered nations - tribes are self-governed and relatively independent of state government, although clearly subordinate to federal authorities.

Another point - I think it is inaccurate to say that Jews were considered a separate ethnic group in Eastern Europe. They were primarily identified as a separate *religious* group, and those who gave up that religious identity could assimilate and be indistinguishable from the rest of the population. You cannot say that of different ethnic group. No level of assimilation can make them indistinguishable.

Wojtek