Fw: [lbo-talk] Fwd: Jesse Lemisch on the KC gas station action

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Thu Jul 27 14:36:44 PDT 2006

Chuck says: "People who drive cars are complicit in their government's policies."

Oh frabjous day! I had thought it would be much more difficult to smoke out the ideology behind all this, but, sure enough, it's an attack on drivers for "complicity." And he supports this by indicating that the war is about oil -- fair enough -- so that everyone who uses oil-generated power is complicit. Explaining to drivers and everybody else their complicity is a wonderful approach to organizing, sure to build a mass movement. Could we consider systemic solutions, involving challenging oil companies, governments, current foreign policy, the military? No, let's blame drivers, and block their access to gas.

Chuck says: "How does Jesse know [that blocking gas pumps at 5 o'clock on Friday afternoon would piss people off]?" Pure reason. Of course, I'm different: when I see people blocking my access to anything, it makes me happy.

Chuck says "There is no SDS 'leadership'. The SDS is not the RCP." It looks like time to read or re-read Jo Freeman's "Tyranny of Structurelessness" on just how dangerous it is to have people who are founders, deferred to, etc. while denying that there is such a thing as leadership. Any sensible examination of the organization would recognize the leadership of, among others, Tom Good, Brian Kelly and Paul Buhle. Rather than denying that there is leadership, we need to build organizations with responsible and accountable leadership.

Finally, he continues to insist on a point that nobody disputes: this was a Code Pink action. But of course he knows that it took place with SDS support, participation and praise -- including his own. It seems as if he wants at the same time to praise this action and to shift blame for it away from SDS.

Jesse Lemisch

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: "lbo-talk" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Cc: "Chuck Munson" <chuck at mutualaid.org> Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 4:01 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Fwd: Jesse Lemisch on the KC gas station action