[lbo-talk] Feeding the homeless a crime in Vegas

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Jul 27 19:44:29 PDT 2006

> Vegas outlaws feeding the homeless

Er ... not exactly. Maybe it's that I live closer to People's Park than you do, but there has to be a balance somewhere. Just because the City isn't providing the "right" level of support and services doesn't mean it's time for a free-for-all. I also would think that by passing this kind of law the city should be in a position to be pushed for providing more services; afterall, stopping these folks should beg the question.

Here's a quotation that's supposed to be confrontational, but is all too common around here. A friend of mine has this as a daily occurance:

"We're hoping we can improve their lives and improve the

lives of people living around the park, some of whom

have people urinating and defecating in front of their door."

You tell me: what is to be done?

She says: I don't want to call the cops; on the other hand, I don't want him pissing on my doorstep. I've seen her step over and around puddles to get in her apartment. It's okay for activists to "want to do anything they can" to feed people, but not care about piss and shit?

I don't buy it.

/jordan