[lbo-talk] Fisk on Olaya, the UN outpost and other things

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 08:50:06 PDT 2006

Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:

On 7/27/06, mike larkin <mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com> wrote: This is the part in the conflict where Fisk predicts that the U.S. (or Israel) is losing. A sure sign Israel is about to prevail.

Mike,

I am not sure why you say this. Is it simply a matter of cynicism about Fisk? In my opinion he is one of the best journalists alive today, no matter how elitist his politics. I suppose I can understand the cynicism but I am not quite sure what you are trying to say. So I guess I am hoping for an explanation.

Fisk's a good journalist, but he's also something of a windbag, given to grandiose prounouncements and to contradicting himself all over the place. It's why he 's such a punching bag for the right. In Iraq, he issued similar pronouncements that the U.S. was losing to Saddam even as Baghdad fell.

I have no idea whether Hezbollah is winning or losing. I suspect it will be defeated militarily but will rise again as a guerilla force.