[lbo-talk] Damn Arabs....

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri Jul 28 18:43:01 PDT 2006

At 5:54 PM -0700 28/7/06, Angelus Novus wrote:

> > You are being deliberately obtuse as usual. To
>> oppose the Jewish
>> state is not to say that the Jews must be driven
>> out, there is an
>> obvious alternative. A non-sectarian nation.
>
>This is a utopian demand. Every state on earth has
>clear definitions about who is a citizen and who is
>not. If you don't think so, try setting up a
>residency and looking for a job in any West European
>country. Israel is not obligated to accept
>Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza as citizens
>anymore than Australia is obligated to accept me as a
>citizen.

Australia used to operate a blatantly racist immigration policy, it was obliged by regional and world opinion to change that. It is not obligated to accept everyone, but it was obliged to cease discriminating on the basis of race, the "White Australia Policy" is no more.

Another little story, in 1967 Australia amended its constitution, which (from Federation in 1900) had provided that Aboriginal Australians were not entitled to citizenship and were not entitled to vote.

These were significant developments in Australian society. But hardly "utopian", as you insist. We're no better than anyone else. If we can do it, Israel can.

>Call me deliberately obtuse if you want.

Thank you, I believe I will. I usually say what I think. Fools step in where angels fear to tread, so they say.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas