[lbo-talk] Eric Lee vs. Sean Matgamna of the AWL debating Israel

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 19:43:40 PDT 2006

Doug:

Islamo-fascism is a bullshit concept. It's hard to take anyone seriously who uses it - it's just a substitute for thought and argument. Fascism is, or should be, a label for a particular political structure - not just an epithet for any reactionary force you don't like.

True that.

So last night I watched Bill Moyers' new PBS program "Bill Moyers on Faith and Reason".

For those who aren't familiar with Moyers, browse to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Moyers> for an overview of his life and career thus far.

Martin Amis -

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Amis>

was one of Moyers' guests. The two spoke about terrorism. Or, I should say they talked about Amis' ideas about the source of terrorism. Actually existing terrorism didn't seem to receive much of a going over during their conversation.

Since writing "The Last Days of Muhammad Atta", a short story presenting a fictionalized account of Atta's thoughts in the week or so leading up to 9/11/01 Amis has apparently been offering his musings on "Islamist nihilism".

What struck me about this interview was the high falutin laziness on display - mostly from Amis (Moyers appears to mean well enough). Instead of 'Islamo-fascist' he simply inserted "nihilism" into the explanatory spot as a catch-all analysis.

Who needs history or research when you can fix a knowing grimace to your face as you delphically spout?

Here's a link to the interview:

<http://www.pbs.org/moyers/portraits_amis.html>

.d.

The most important isotope of plutonium is 239Pu, with a half-life of 24,110 years.

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/