[lbo-talk] Eric Lee vs. Sean Matgamna of the AWL debating Israel

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Sat Jul 29 20:45:41 PDT 2006

Doug,

I understand that many people use the term Islamo-fascism as a catch-all epithet, but there are serious scholars, including some on the left, who think that some Islamic militant movements should be seriously considered to be clerical fascist or theocratic fascist movements. I understand your anger and frustration, but I dislike having some of my claims, that are published in scholarly publications, dismissed as merely "bullshit." And Eric Lee is hardly a crackpot. And is Juan Cole a crackpot for suggesting that Hezbollah has engaged in war crimes? Get a grip.

-Chip Berlet

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Doug Henwood Sent: Sat 7/29/2006 10:17 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Eric Lee vs. Sean Matgamna of the AWL debating Israel

On Jul 29, 2006, at 9:37 PM, Dennis Redmond wrote:

> Michael Pugliese forwarded:
>
>> http://www.ericlee.info/2006/07/in_support_of_israel_notes_for.html
>> In support of Israel: Notes for a debate
>>
>> The Jewish state faces the threat of annihilation by
>> Islamo-fascist organizations that have sworn to do exactly that.
>
> Pure lunacy.

Islamo-fascism is a bullshit concept. It's hard to take anyone seriously who uses it - it's just a substitute for thought and argument. Fascism is, or should be, a label for a particular political structure - not just an epithet for any reactionary force you don't like.