[lbo-talk] Eric Lee vs. Sean Matgamna of the AWL debating Israel

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 30 15:16:20 PDT 2006

On Jul 30, 2006, at 12:24 PM, Max B. Sawicky wrote:

> You've got pro-capitalist fundamentalist clerics relying on
> extra-parliamentary violence perpetrated by armed gangs, including
> against
> actual leftists, for all practical purposes protecting deeply
> reactionary
> absolutist and/or monarchical regimes.

Which regime and/or organization are you talking about? Saudi Arabia? The southern portion of Lebanon under Hezbollah control? Iran? Saddam's Iraq? The former Taliban regime in Afg? The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, which is repressed by the government? These are all very different formations, some of whom don't like each other much. It's much too squishy to be a useful term, unless you're an apologist for the U.S. and/or Israel's doctrine of permanent war.

And what about Zionism? The right wing of Zionism uses scripture and talks about "population transfer." Even Benny Morris has defended "ethnic cleansing." And what about our own millennial loons, who crave Holy War to accelerate the end times?

Doug