[lbo-talk] Re: Mel Gibson, anti-Semite

Stuart Elliott Stuart323 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 31 07:21:20 PDT 2006

> From: "Robert Naiman " <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org>
>

> It will be interesting to see if our friends at the ADL and the
> Wiesenthal Center take this up, or if they are too preoccupied with
> Other Tasks.

Both the ADL and the SWC have denounced Gibson's latest comments.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 1:03 p.m. EDT http://www.adl.org/PresRele/ASUS_12/4861_12.htm Anti-Defamation League Slams 'Bigot' Mel Gibson

The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) said actor and director Mel Gibson's apology for hurling anti-Semitic invective at a police officer during his arrest for driving under the influence was "unremorseful and insufficient" and said his tirade "finally reveals his true self."

According to reports, Gibson yelled epithets at the arresting officer, asked him if he was Jewish and stated that "the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world."

In a statement yesterday, Gibson apologized for saying "despicable things" that he "does not believe to be true."

Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director, issued the following statement:

Mel Gibson's apology is unremorseful and insufficient. It's not a proper apology because it does not go to the essence of his bigotry and his anti-Semitism. His tirade finally reveals his true self and shows that his protestations during the debate over his film "The Passion of the Christ," that he is such a tolerant, loving person, were a sham.

It may well be that the bigotry has been passed from the father to the son. It is unfortunate that it took an excess of booze and an encounter with a traffic cop to reveal what was really in his heart and mind.

We would hope that Hollywood now would realize the bigot in their midst and that they will distance themselves from this anti-Semite.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/7/30/203918.shtml?s=tn

Rabbi Marvin Hier of the Simon Wiesenthal Center says, quote, "if that's what he said, even under intoxication, it clearly shows that Mel Gibson has a problem with Jews."

Stuart Elliott

http://newappeal.blogspot.com/ www.ksworkbeat.org