[lbo-talk] The largest-est mass demonstration in Mexico's history

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 08:53:22 PDT 2006

Federal cops say 180 thousand. Local cops say 2.4 million. Make up your mind:

http://www.amlo.org.mx/fotogaleria/index.html http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2006/07/31/index.php http://videos.eluniversal.com.mx/asamblea03ok.html

In retrospect, López Obrador's speech will be deemed a foundational document in Mexico's national history:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/365665.html

I have translated a few excerpts to give you the flavor of López Obrador's speech (and of the event).

* * *

In a country like ours, with so much inequality and privileges, democracy acquires a fundamental social dimension and becomes a matter of survival. Democracy is the only option, the only hope for millions of poor, for the majority of the people, to improve their living and working conditions.

If the gates of democracy are shut, the alternative can only be submission or violence. That is why we have to defend and enforce democracy."

* * *

>From the outset, we had indications of our victory, and today, 28 days
after election, we are absolutely certain, we have all the elements and evidence to believe without hesitation that we won the Presidency of the Republic!

As I have said, in spite of a process plagued with irregularities and fraudulent acts, we -- women and men -- must feel very proud of the fact that they were not able to defeat us with the ballot. That is why they refuse to open the ballot packages and recount the votes, one by one, polling place by polling place.

The most conclusive proof that we won the presidential election lies in their attitude of refusal and rejection that the candidate of the right has adopted in relation to the demand of counting the votes again, one by one.

* * *

I will never admit that this election was clean, free, or equitable. That would amount to self-betrayal. But I have told the candidate of the right that if he declares himself in favor of recounting the votes, I am going to accept the outcome -- I am going to stop calling the citizens to demonstrate.

That is a commitment I have been making. They should not be afraid of democracy. I insist, if he believes he won, why the fear? Let there be transparency. Let's recount the votes. That's what we're proposing.

* * *

As I have said, Mexico, our great country, does not deserve to be ruled -- and we won't allow it... Mexico, our great country does not deserve to be ruled by a spurious president, without legitimacy, without moral or political authority.

We are now waiting for the Electoral Tribunal to make the decision to clean and make transparent this election by ordering that all votes be recounted. That is, I repeat, the most sensible and rational solution. That is the legal and political solution that best serves Mexico and democracy.

* * *

We know that the members of the Tribunal are subject to brutal pressures from the powerful -- those who believe they are the owners of Mexico. It is convenient to clarify: It's not that we don't respect our political institutions. It is instead that, in our country -- unfortunately -- we have not yet build a tradition that ensures everyone that the people who have in their hands the institutions act righteously and decently.

Let's not forget that in our country simulation has prevailed. Historically, the Constitution and the laws have been enforced only in the form but have been violated in their substance.

In Mexico, unfortunately, law has meant the opposition of its rationale. They always invoke a state of laws, but those in charge of imparting justice, instead of protecting the weak, only help to legalize the dispossession and the abuses committed by the strong. The law that has prevailed is the law of money and power, over and above all.

Although we don't discard the possibility that the magistrates of the Tribunal may act as free men and women, with the moral stature, the courage and patriotism that this moment demands from them; although we still expect from the magistrates a responsible and patriotic attitude, we are not going to trust blindly and we are not going to wait with our arms crossed.

Besides that, our history teaches us many lessons. We must remember that everything, everything that we have attained in our history as far as liberties, justice, and democracy are concerned, has been conquered with the organization and the struggle of the people.

Nothing -- or almost nothing -- has ever been a gracious concession granted by the powers. We became an independent country not because the Spanish Crown so decided, but because of the popular struggle led by Hidalgo and Morelos.

We had a Reform, not due to the will of the conservatives, but because of the conviction and tenacity of the liberals. And the little or much we attained in terms of social justice, we owe to the Mexican Revolution, to the struggle of Madero, Villa and Zapata -- and many other anonymous heroes.

That is why we should never thing that democracy will be enforced from the top down. This can only be possible with the effort and the mobilization of the citizens. Democracy, like justice or freedom, is not to be begged, it's to be conquered.

* * *

I am not driven by vulgar ambitions. I am not moved by the interest in money and have always said that power only makes sense -- and may be even turned into virtue -- when it is at the service of the many. I fight for principles and ideals. That is what I deem most worthy in my life. Not public office, even the most important office in the land.

* * *

I propose that we stay here, that we remain here -- day and night -- until the votes are counted and we have a President Elect with the modicum of legality that we Mexicans deserve.

I assure you that this effort and sacrifice will not be vane.

* * *

All the campgrounds will observe discipline, respect, and cleanliness.

We are going to take care of gardens, parks, historical monuments -- no public spaces will be defaced. We will avoid any kind of provocation. Our actions will be subject to the principles of peaceful civil resistance within the framework of non-violence. Legally, we will be making full use of the right to demonstrate guaranteed by the Constitution.

While we remain in Permanent Assembly, in all the campgrounds, from the Zócalo to the Fountain of "Petróleos," we will hold an array of daily artistic and cultural events.

* * *

I will also be living in this place, while we remain in Permanent Assembly.

I know, friends, that what I am proposing will not be easy or simple to carry out, but that is what best serves our cause.

So, again, I will ask for your undivided attention. I am submitting this proposal to your consideration. I ask: Should we stay here? Yes or no?

[People answer "Yes!"]

I will ask again, in a different way. Those who are in favor of staying, please raise your hand.

[The crowd raise their hands]

Please lower your hands now. Now those who are against staying, please raise your hand.

[Nobody raises a hand]

Abstentions?

[Nobody responds]

We stay!