[lbo-talk] Is this the new left?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 31 19:24:45 PDT 2006

George Steiner pointed out years ago that the purpose of constructing a particular (specialized) language is less communication among insiders than exclusion of outsiders. (In that he was giving support to a point of Chomsky's with which he purports not to agree, that an intelligent Martian would find all humans speaking essentially the same language, with regional variations.) --CGE