[lbo-talk] Le Blog Bérubé on the war

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Jul 31 21:53:33 PDT 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 22:37, Michael Pugliese wrote:
> Give it more than paragraph. You will find that for an
> anti-Chomskyite, Berube is closer to your position than mine.

On your recommendation, I did go ahead and read the whole thing. I'm not real sure just what his "position" is, since the item consists mostly in quotations from other people that don't really add up to anything very coherent. But that said, yeah, a lot of the points he makes, or passes on, dissent in one way or another from the standard bombs-away liberal line-up-with-Israel stance. So far so good, I guess, and it does suggest that Berube has evolved a bit.

But criminy, it's so glacial. And fighting one's way through that thicket of introductory exculpations and qualifications and reassurances -- it's worse than tedious, it's disturbing. It's like watching somebody writhe and tear his hair and beat his beast and foam at the mouth and weep copiously before he can bring himself to acknowledge that two plus two equals four. And I mean no disrespect to five. Nobody supports five's right to exist more strongly than I do.

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org