[lbo-talk] Re: Aundhati Roy on the brewing instability in India

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Thu Jun 1 04:43:52 PDT 2006

I am confused, though. You also wrote:

>Those who "do well" fall into two categories.

and

>But I believe in the case of India we are talking about millions who do
>very well precisely BECAUSE
>10s or 100s of millions are doing very badly indeed. If Roy is even partly
>correct, those dams are responsible for the "doing well" of 10s of
>thousands and the doing very badly indeed of 100s of millions -- and the
>two can't be separated.

Was this just a typo -- were it me, it probably would have been (heh). In one instance you speak of millions who are doing well b/c of 100s of millions who do badly. In the very next sentence, 10s of thousands are doing well on the backs of those doing badly.

I took the two different categories of numbers that to mean two different kinds of "doing well":

-- that of the 10s of thousands of capitalists

and

-- that of millions of relatively well-to-do workers in the over-developed world.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org