[lbo-talk] Adam Hanieh, "Canadian Union Takes Important Step against Israeli Apartheid"

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 07:21:29 PDT 2006

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's been a minor current of leftists in the
> world, but even within
> that minor current, your opinion about
> Israel/Palestine would have to
> be a minority

In the world, certainly. Among the extra-parliamentary milieu in Germany for people under the age of 35, maybe not. A critical solidarity with Israel is almost consensus in the autonomist Antifa milieu, for example.

> I'd say that Edward Said was the truer heir of
> Adorno than you can be

I haven't read any Edward Said. I have a book of interviews with him and Daniel Barenboim, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

As far as "true heirs" of Adorno, I like Wolfgang Pohrt <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Pohrt>, Eike Geisel <http://www.beatpunk.org/stories/geisel.html>, and most of all, Robert Kurz <http://www.exit-online.org> and the Krisis group <http://www.krisis.org>.

> century the idea
> of home has been superseded. I suppose part of my
> critique of Zionism
> is that it attaches too much importance to home.

That's cool with me. Why all the noise about a Palestinian right of return, then? It's nothing but the same old "Blut und Boden" ideology of irredentist ethnic Germans from Eastern Europe driven from their Polish and Cszech homelands after WWII. How else should one characterize the idea that someone who wasn't even alive in 1948 should return to a home they never knew?

> "Of course. I'm the last Jewish intellectual. You
> don't know anyone
> else. All your other Jewish intellectuals are now
> suburban squires.

It seems to me that Said is just engaging here in the sort of Holocaust envy that you've correctly diagnosed in other posts. It reminds me of guilt-ridden German liberal intellectuals who hysterically proclaim that Israelis are the Germans of today and Palestinians are the real Jews.

> Japanese imperialists developed the rhetoric of
> anti-colonial
> imperialism much earlier than today's European far
> right did

True dat. Add to that a book like Francis Parker Yockey's Imperium, and it's a wonder that "national liberation" was ever even a credible idea among communists, let alone the dominant conception of revolution for much of the 20th century.