[lbo-talk] 2004 election, again

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jun 1 13:14:34 PDT 2006

> [just posted to AAPORnet]
>
> <http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10432334/was_the_2004_election_stolen>
> Robert Kennedy's Rolling Stone article on new evidence suggesting a stolen
> 2004 presidential election just put online.

[And also apropos that subject line, Newsweek seems just to have discovered that that Diebold voting machines couldn't be easier to manipulate if they had set out to design them that way:]

Steven Levy-The Technologist

Will Your Vote Count in 2006?

'When you're using a paperless voting system, there is no

security,' says Stanford's David Dill.

Steven Levy

Newsweek

May 29, 2006 issue - Just when you thought it was safe to go back

into the voting booth, here comes more disturbing news about the

trustworthiness of electronic touchscreen ballot machines. Earlier

this month a report by Finnish security expert Harri Hursti

analyzed Diebold voting machines for an organization called Black

Box Voting. Hursti found unheralded vulnerabilities in the machines

that are currently entrusted to faithfully record the votes of

millions of Americans.

How bad are the problems? Experts are calling them the most serious

voting-machine flaws ever documented. Basically the trouble stems

from the ease with which the machine's software can be altered. It

requires only a few minutes of pre-election access to a Diebold

machine to open the machine and insert a PC card that, if it

contained malicious code, could reprogram the machine to give

control to the violator. The machine could go dead on Election Day

or throw votes to the wrong candidate. Worse, it's even possible

for such ballot-tampering software to trick authorized technicians

into thinking that everything is working fine, an illusion you

couldn't pull off with pre-electronic systems. "If Diebold had set

out to build a system as insecure as they possibly could, this

would be it," says Avi Rubin, a Johns Hopkins University

computer-science professor and elections-security expert.

Diebold Election Systems spokesperson David Bear says Hursti's

findings do not represent a fatal vulnerability in Diebold

technology, but simply note the presence of a feature that allows

access to authorized technicians to periodically update the

software. If it so happens that someone not supposed to use the

machine-or an election official who wants to put his or her thumb

on the scale of democracy-takes advantage of this fast track to

fraud, that's not Diebold's problem. "[Our critics are] throwing

out a 'what if' that's premised on a basis of an evil, nefarious

person breaking the law," says Bear.

Those familiar with the actual election process-by and large run by

honest people but historically subject to partisan politicking,

dirty tricks and sloppy practices-are less sanguine. "It gives me a

bit of alarm that the voting systems are subject to tampering and

errors," says Democratic Rep. William Lacy Clay, who worries that

machines in his own St. Louis district might be affected by this

vulnerability. (In Maryland and Georgia, all the machines are

Diebold's.)

The Diebold security gap is only the most vivid example of the

reality that no electronic voting system can be 100 percent safe or

reliable. That's the reason behind an initiative to augment these

systems, adding a paper receipt that voters can check to make sure

it conforms with their choices. The receipt is retained at the

polling place so a physical count can be conducted. "When you're

using a paperless voting system, there is no security," says David

Dill, a Stanford professor who founded the election-reform

organization Verified Voting.

To their credit, 26 states have taken action to implement paper

trails. But the U.S. Congress has yet to pass legislation

introduced last year by Rep. Rush Holt, Democrat of New Jersey,

that would extend this protection nationwide. Holt says his bill is

slowly gaining support. "The voters are saying that every vote

should count, and the only way to do this is by verified audit

trails," he says. But even an optimistic scenario for passage would

challenge his goal of mandatory paper receipts for November's

elections. In other words, it's unlikely that every voter using an

electronic voting device in 2006 will know for sure that his or her

vote will be reflected in the actual totals. Six years after the

2000 electoral debacle, how can this be?

© 2006 Newsweek, Inc. | Subscribe to Newsweek