[lbo-talk] Things that stir the masses

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 05:25:50 PDT 2006

The Irish government is, at this moment, closer to collapsing than it has been at any time since the last election (2002), and probably for some time before that - over its failure to anticipate a Supreme Court ruling striking down a statutory rape law on the grounds that it didn't provide for a defence of "honest and reasonable mistake" as to age. As I write, one of the largest demonstrations I've ever seen outside the parliament building is gathering to call for the Justice Minister's head. It's kind of exciting, actually.