[lbo-talk] Context for 1984 Reagan campaign advertisement

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 2 14:32:32 PDT 2006

Speaking of history, I need to draw on some of the collective wisdom of the list. As an option for a class I'm teaching this summer, I told my students they could review a set of TV advertisements for a presidential campaign on a web archive called "Living Room Candidate." I have had two students look at the Reagan/Mondale campaigns in 1984 and have wondered about the meaning of the Reagan advertisment called "Bear." Having watched all the ads in that campaign, and reviewed my history of the era, I can only come up with vague possibilities. The ad seems to assume it's audience knows what it is talking about.

Any ideas?

Here is a link to the page of both campaigns: http://livingroomcandidate.movingimage.us/election/index.php?nav_action=election&nav_subaction=overview&campaign_id=173 Bear ad: http://livingroomcandidate.movingimage.us/player/index.php?ad_id=923 Transcript for Bear Ad: "ANNOUNCER: There is a bear in the woods. For some people the bear is easy to see. Others don't see it at all. Some people say the bear is tame. Others say it's vicious and dangerous. Since no one can really be sure who's right, isn't it smart to be as strong as the bear? If there is a bear?"

[The obvious answer is that it is the USSR, but wouldn't the question at the time not be about the bear's existence but about whether it was balding, weak, toothless and crippled or the #1 threat facing America. (Makes me wonder if the ambiguity is what leads Stephen Colbert to make his rants about bears--just a big inside joke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBuXz4ozJLc ]

A similar ad ran during the 2004 Bush campaign, but at least it clarified what the wolves were: http://livingroomcandidate.movingimage.us/player/index.php?ad_id=1204