[lbo-talk] Language of Contempt

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 2 14:41:55 PDT 2006

When I was still teaching, I would occasionally ask my students to

propose a male equivalent of "slut" -- i.e., a word that had all the

polemical force of "slut" but that clearly and unambiguously applied to

males only. No one ever came up with a really persuasive candidate. The

brighter women in the class would often fall back on "asshole,"

acknowledging that while it wasn't specific to males, it was the best

epithet that didn't focus on females. It is really amazing how much of

the available language of contempt is gendered, in origin and usually in

current usage. "Son of a bitch" is classic: aimed at men, but focusing

on their mother, as though the worst thing you can say about a man is

that he has a sexually erring mother.

Carrol

I've heard my students use the term slut for males as much a females. This is a change from when you were teaching. The word has the same meaning but cannot carry quite the same contempt since our culture praises sexually active males and not females. Sluts are no longer exclusively female.

I don't know when slut began being used as often for males.

In a related vein, The Richmond Sluts are all male. They are also an absolutely fantastic band. Way under- rated.

John Thornton