[lbo-talk] Language of Contempt

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 15:32:11 PDT 2006

There's the old-fashioned "gigolo." But as you know basically the reason there isn't an equivalent is the lingering double standard. It's OK, even admirable or enviable, for guys to fuck around as long as they are not married. Girls who behave like guys are "supposed to" and fuck as many guys or gals as they can are sluts or whores or easy or promiscious, which is supposed to be a bad thing. Every single piece of this doctrine of sexual morality is indefensible, of course.

In our distant youth, some time after sister #1 came out as gay, my late mother caught sister #2 (then a Sr in HS) with her boyfriend in a compromising position. Now at the time, I was a good deal more red than I am now, and chased girls a lot and caught them a fair amount of the time. (I did always use a rubber.) Our mom came out with the immortal cry anguish, What have I done wrong? My children are a communist, a lesbian, and a whore." This despite the fact that I was at least as active as sister #2. But it was my politics and not my pastimes that upset my mom.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1844/manuscripts/comm.htm