[lbo-talk] constitutional law question

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 4 08:52:35 PDT 2006

Does anybody know whether the In God We Trust inscription has ever been challenged in the Supreme Court and, if so, what rationale was used to uphold it?

When you talk about religion with French people, they always seem unable to believe that we actually have separation of church and state. Every Frenchman you talk to will immediately bring up the fact that the president says God Bless America and that Congress starts its sessions with a prayer. When you point out that nobody can forbid the president or Congress to talk about God, they will then cite In God We Trust. (I swear, it's like they're reading from a catechism.) At that point, I'm forced to concede that they have a point. But they're always genuinely surprised to hear that that courts regularly strike down laws that improperly give money to churches or permit organized prayer.

Anyway, bref....Answers would be greatly appreciated!

Seth