[lbo-talk] Family, dads, Stalin/Ilya Erenburg

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 06:45:02 PDT 2006

--- Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:

> All during the winter `41-42, the Germans were
> pinned down along a
> front running from a few miles north of Murmansk
> down to just outside
> of Rostov. (How long is this? More than 1500 miles?)

I spent a week last year in Rostov-on-Don (which is the Rostov in question -- there are actually two Rostovs). It's Cossack territory. The population of Rostov is about 40% urbanized Cossacks (or "asphalt Cossacks" as their brethren in the countryside derisively call them). I wonder if the Soviet song "Nashi kazaki idut, idut v Berlin" (Our Cossacks Are Going, Are Going to Berlin) is connected to Rostov. Anyway I really liked it. The train from Moscow followed the Don Riven for the last leg of the trip, and I could see lots of kids and young people swimming in it. It struck me as a very relaxed city. It was late July and hotter than Hell, though.

> We wonder now how these pleas from Erhenburg fell on
> deaf ears in the
> West more than fifty years ago.

Did they fall on deaf ears? He's addressing a specific audience -- American Jews. How much assistance did US Jews give to Britain and the USSR?

Nu, zayats, pogodi!