[lbo-talk] My PC Son

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Jun 6 12:51:54 PDT 2006

In my son's year-end historical presentation (4th grade), each student must portray someone from Michigan history. The teacher provided a list of possible candidates, one of which was Ty Cobb, who's actually from Georgia, but played the majority of his baseball career for the Detroit Tigers. So the boy does some reseach on Cobb, since he's beginning to like old baseball figures, and finds out that while Cobb was a great player, he was one of the nastiest racists in American baseball history, assaulting black men who dared call him by his first name, etc. Turns out one of the jocks in my son's class is doing Cobb, inspiring my son to tell me, "That should be a great report: Why I Hated Black People."

My kind of PC.

Dennis