[lbo-talk] Liberalism and preemptive evil

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Jun 5 15:16:06 PDT 2006

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 15:00:40 +0000 "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com> writes:
> [A couple of items here about Peter Beinart, champion of a resurgent
> liberalism that recognizes the evil of the new totalitarianism
> emanating
> from radical Islam, which requires liberals to take all actions
> necessary to
> combat this evil "even when their moral purity is compromised in the
>
> effort." Beinart is an excellent example of what irredeemable
> assholes
> liberals are, and he is a timely reminder that liberalism remains
> perhaps
> the greatest lasting threat to peace and democratic values the world
> has
> known.]

That was one of the great discoveries of the 1960s New Left. For all their faults, one positive achievement of the New Left was their realization that it was the liberals who were the main enemy, and that liberals were more dangerous than the rightwingers because of their capacity for cloaking military aggression abroad and repression at home under a veneer of progressive sounding rhetoric. It was liberal presidents, JFK and LBJ who escalated the Vietnam War, in case anyone here needs to be reminded. A couple decades earlier, it was the Truman Administration that initiated the cold war and that Administration also initiated domestic repression against the left. While, returning to the much more recent past, it was the liberals who pushed for the 1999 war against Yugoslavia, so helping to create the precedent for Dubya's war in Iraq.

And we should not neglect the role that the liberal intellectuals played in this. The pieces by Beinart and Radosh hark back to the post-WW II writings of Rienhold Niebhur and Arthur Schlessinger, Jr., which I guess goes to show that the Bearded One was right when he said that history repeats itself, the first time being a tragedy and the second time, a farce. Beinart and Radosh's handwringing about "original sin" and how great America is because "we" believe in its reality, is even more pathetic this time around than it was sixty years ago.