[lbo-talk] Adam Hanieh, "Canadian Union Takes Important Step against Israeli Apartheid"

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 21:08:19 PDT 2006

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:

>you
> must also accept
> that all who leave their countries of origin,
> including you and
> Palestinians, must possess the same right to return,

Which Palestinians? The actual 1948 refugees? Their children? Their grandchildren?

What about Silesian Germans? Sudeten Germans? Their children? Their grandchildren?

> Ruth Lapidoth's article is nothing but bad faith and
> red herrings.

Possibly, but it would be helpful for me to know exactly how.

> Tel Aviv doesn't have the right to
> prevent them from
> coming home if they want

Maybe. I don't know. You say this, Ruth Lapidoth says something else. And again, which Palestinians? Actual refugees, or their descendants as well?

> just as the country of
> your origin doesn't
> have the right to prevent you from coming home if
> you want.

But Israel is not their country of origin. They come from a part of Palestine that is now part of Israel. Wars lead to border being redrawn sometimes.

Silesia was once part of Germany. It's now part of Poland. Silesian Germans should not have any legal entitlement to return to that part of Poland (whether they actually do or not under international law is not clear to me).

> What we are seeing is basically a Jewish state in
> which all others are
> either second-class citizens

Like pretty much every other nation-state on the planet. Ask a Turkish resident of Berlin. Ask any naturalized German citizen whose citizenship can be revoked for a variety of reasons, including "political extremism" or "opposition to the constitution."

Born, "ethnic" Germans don't have to fear their citizenship being revoked, even if they are political "extremists" or "oppose" the constitution.

So that's a clear-cut case of apartheid, if we apply your usage consistently. But no international campaign to isolate Germany. Why? Germany is a perfect target if CUPE really has a universal interest in opposing these sort of "apartheid" structures (i.e. nation-states). Germany's economy is export oriented.

A boycott over their treatment of Turkish residents and naturalized citizens would hit them where it hurts.