[lbo-talk] Kinship and reproduction

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Jun 6 06:22:00 PDT 2006

Charles Brown writes:

> The interesting question is what is , if anything, uniquely human nature,
>not shared with other species - upright posture, opposable thumb, specific
>teeth, lot less fur, etc.

Pan estrus, i.e. no estrous cycle and year-round receptivity. One thing you don't see in non-human primates to any significant degree is food-sharing.

Jenny Brown

^^^^^ CB: Yes, and I forgot the big one, very critical : very long period of helpless childhood.

The no food sharing among non-human primates really supports my thesis that our species should be renamed _homo communis_.