[lbo-talk] Chomsky on sociobiology

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Tue Jun 6 06:49:19 PDT 2006

If ordinary language has a structure incompatible with what a more sophisticated inspection of our experience shows to be incompatible with the structure of reality, then we need to alter our language to incorporate this insight. For instance, if its subject/predicate form implicitly entails the idea of the universe as consisting of "substances" in the senses of Aristotle and Descartes and our experience demonstrates that, in fact, there are no such substances, then we need to alter the ordinary meaning of language to take account of this insight.

Language is our creature. The idea that it's not, that it's the creator and we're the creature ("structuralism"), or that it's the creature of a creator other than us (e.g. "of genetic programs"), is another example of what Marx means by "fetishism". Attempting to defend the idea with argument is self-contradictory; it's attempting to persuade people that they aren't open to persuasion by argument.

"Materialists" of this kind (the kind criticized in Marx's third thesis on Feuerbach) arguing (usually vehemently) with each other about the degree to which we are creatures of our genetic structure versus our environment make an interesting subject for study.

Ted