[lbo-talk] Chomsky on sociobiology

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Tue Jun 6 07:49:47 PDT 2006

At around 6/6/06 8:47 am, Michael J. Smith wrote:

> (I don't want to be too contentious in my first 48 hours on the
> list, so somebody tell me offline if I'm being a pain-in-the-ass
> presumptuous newbie.)

Don't give it a thought! I have been that (PITA presumptuous newbie) for about 5 years at least now, on LBO... why let the old-timers monopolize such behaviour? ;-)

I think your post is quite on target. Of course Chomsky is not an impartial participant, having committed himself to "language instinct"s and such in his theories. It is not by chance that Pinker, who caricatures and attacks behavioural psychologists (as I had pointed out earlier in this thread) borrows heavily from Chomskyian theory.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/