[lbo-talk] Evolutionary advantage of idealism

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 12:09:43 PDT 2006

On 6/6/06, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> Our pre-historical ancestors spent most of their time on enduring the harsh
> reality - hunger, the elements, and dangerous animals, while the amount of
> time spent on the actual procurement of food or escaping imminent danger was
> only a fraction of the enduring time. Therefore, having greater biological
> capacity to delude oneself translated into a greater chance of survival and
> transmitting the genes responsible for delusional tendencies on the progeny.
> Hence the delusional thinking seems to be more prevalent than rational
> thinking today.
>
> Wojtek

Woj,

What you say maybe partially right, at leastI think it is. But how can you express it with such absolute certainty?

There is very little certainty at all in these areas. Nothing that you have said about "delusional tendencies" of early hominids has any evidence behind it at all. It is even hard to try to think of ways of obtaining evidence for your statements.

As a personal note, sometimes I feel that if you would just be a little less certain, if you tried to express your views a bit more flexibly, laying out possible alternatives, I wouldn't be so annoyed by your particular delusions.

To parody your above point: Your kind of certainty probably in general provides an evolutionary advantage over uncertain people such as myself. This is because people who are irrationally certain of things and see nothing but their own world-view end up conquering people such as myself who believe that there is very little proof, and thus we should remain uncertain, about most things that matter.

Jerry.