[lbo-talk] National Liberation and NSDAP

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 20:11:40 PDT 2006

One more point in response to Nathaniel...

--- nathaniel.thomas at utoronto.ca wrote:

> quite a few prominent
> pro-independence figures under British and French
> colonial domination (or
> recently removed of it) were supportive or
> ambivalent about the Nazis, from
> Ireland to India.

Yes, this is very true. There was an interesting article in the German third world publication iz3w <http://www.iz3w.org/iz3w/index.html> a few months ago with the focus on India, "Indien: Der Feind des Feindes. Die Unabhängigkeitsbewegung und ihr Verhältnis zu den Nazis."

The NSDAP framed a lot of their propaganda with the rhetoric of anti-imperialism and indigenous resistance. Of course, this was related to the fact that Germany was an aspiring imperialist power who portrayed their own aspirations in terms of opposition to British and Russian imperialism.

But to me, this is not so much an exoneration for the cause of the Palestinians as it is a reason to reflect upon the affinities between anti-imperialism of the Right and Left, and why the concept of the "nation" should be subject to critical scrutiny.