[lbo-talk] Liberalism and preemptive evil

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Jun 6 21:00:36 PDT 2006

> But if one
>questions cultural or political Zionism-and surely such questioning is
>legitmate-then it is possible to regard Jewish assimilation and all
>its attendant paradoxes as a leaven, a creative force, in political
>modernity itself-not simply as a self-denying evasion. The dilemmas
>of Jewish assimilation, with its individual strategies of converting,
>passing, denying, or displacing are themselves part of the
>cultural-political toolbox which liberal democracies offer to ethnic,
>religious, and cultural minorities under conditions of
>modernity. Surely the kind of moral universalism to which all four
>thinkers aspired is no less an aspect of the Jewish experience in
>modernity than the assertion of Jewish particularism. Wolin does not
>address these dilemmas. In accusing Arendt, Löwith, Jonas, and Marcuse
>of failing to live up to their Jewish identities, he fails to
>illuminate their work and instead invites questions about his own
>vantage point. What are his standards for deciding whether a Jewish
>life is sufficiently "authentic"?

Indeed. I once again recommend Marx's "On the Jewish Question," which argues for Jewish authenticity as expressed in the realization of universal humanity not as a retreat to a self-made or national ghetto.

The enfranchisement and assimilation of jews were most definitely a threat to some jews whose identity and power were threatened. Israel Sahak speaks of this at length and very well. See

http://www.geocities.com/alabasters_archive/jewish_fundamentalism.html

Joanna