[lbo-talk] Chomsky on sociobiology

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 7 14:01:54 PDT 2006

--- Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote: Either humans are biological organisms or they are not. If they are not biological organisms then you must reject the post-Hegelian science of evolutionary biology. Either the brain/mind is a biological organ or it is given by the gods or falls from heaven.

---

Isn't this a bit of a false dichotomy. How the heck do we know that our ideas of "biology," "organism," or "mind" are even adequate? I can think of a billion ways to save the phenomenon than that the posit that the mind is either a biological organ or fell from heaven. Leipnizian or Spinozist pantheism (everything is mind) for one thing, or subjective or absolute idealism. Not fashionable ideas nowadays, but hardly disprovable.

Anyway it seems to me that most of the asertions that soc bio is "just-so stories" could apply to a lot of evolutionary biology.

"Dogs are pack hunters because hunting as a group was selected for due to its efficiency in downing prey."

"No no no, the counterexample of the house cat proves that solitary hunting was selected for and is more advantageous. Pack hunting is an atavism that is doomed to die out!"

BTW, Chuck, thanks for the kind comments Chuck G! I'll get back to you on them tomorrow.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!