[lbo-talk] Punctuations

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 8 06:43:51 PDT 2006

On another list I came across the speculation (reworded here), "If Paine had written Common Sense in 1770 instead of 1776 it would have been dead on arrival."

Somewhere John Adams remarks that the ideas behind the revolution developed in the 15 years after 1760.

I have at various times on this list argued that (a) it is necessry to keep trying to organize, to kick up excitement, at all times, but the _success_ of such efforts is (almost completely) outside the control of the organizers. This has by some been called fatalism or various similar epithets. But that is clearly nonsense. Lenin's spark only works if there is tinder; tiner dries in complex historical ways which we cannot formulate in any exact way, and hence its presence or absence is never predictable, and it is not even recognizable in the present _except_ through constant organizing efforts.

So mass movements depend on constant efforts to create them in periods when _no conceivable_ efforts would in fact create them.

Carrol