[lbo-talk] One-state and two-state strategies

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Jun 8 08:04:16 PDT 2006

========================= Yes, that's stating it more baldly. There is presently only one state in the old mandatory Palestine. I think most Palestinians do recognize that, however, and have been trying to change it. It wasn't always the case; the present situation was the result of the '67 war and occupation, and for a time after that, culiminating in the Oslo accords, the Israelis were more prepared to accept a trunctated and dependent Palestinian client "state" in exchange for stability and legitimacy. I don't think they've ever ruled this out, and the pressure they're putting on Hamas is aimed at crushing the last vestiges of Palestinian resistance and ensuring that their surrender terms are broadly accepted within Palestinian society. That's the significance, it seems to me, of their stubborn insistence that Hamas first abase itself and formally recognize Israel's right to exist as a prelude to any negotiations. But the outcome of the war in Iraq, the nuclear standoff in Iran, and the future course of US domestic politics, will also have a large say in how the conflict continues to evolve.