[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 9 14:13:40 PDT 2006

Aargh. You are missing the whole point. 1) Use is not an issue. It's not supposed to be useful. 2) Heidegger is trying to undermine the whole idea underlying the concepts of the "individual subject," the "mental," and "reality." Heidegger is describing the structure of experience. In actual existence, I have never experienced myself as an "individual subject" with some kind of "mental" apparatus that is impinged upon by "reality." These are concepts that are derived from lived experience. In actual experience, one never sees "individual subjects," "minds," or "reality." These are, again, deivative concepts. In actual life, one sees oneself surrounded by other beings impregnated with meaning with which one interacts. That, for Heidegger, is the basic understanding of the world from which all others are derived.