[lbo-talk] Fanaa, Aamir Khan, Narmada, and the BJP (was Re: Indian Beatles)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 10:36:08 PDT 2006

On 6/10/06, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:
> Fanaa is also an example of one of the many things Bollywood can accomplish
> that Hollywood cannot, which show part of how they are different in essence.
> It's a standard Romeo and Juliet plot. But what makes it mind boggling to
> think about is that the obstacle keeping the girl and boy apart is that she
> is Miss India and he is an anti-India terrorist. And he's not only the
> film's romantic hero, he's also an action hero-type superman mastermind.
> You see him kill Indian soldiers face to face while smiling and bragging.
> You hear about him blowing up iconic Indian buildings and killing hundreds.
> And yet he's the hero of the film, the guy you identify with, and who the
> girl falls in love with, and who is clearly the manly superior of anyone in
> the film.
>
> An American equivalent would be like recasting Matt Damon's Bourne character
> as a Zarqawi character and having Jennifer Lopez fall in love with him after
> we've just seen him blowing up buildings across America and killing our best
> agents with his bare hands while laughing. It's impossible to imagine
> anyone in America even conceiving that film, never mind producing it or
> being allowed to show it. And yet in India, which is more traumatized by
> terrorism than America (because there it's not only scary but stuck like
> scab to nationalist wounds), it not only got shown but was a success.
>
> And if you see it (which I don't really recommend unless you're a Bollywood
> fan -- beginners should start with the works of genius), you'll see the
> secret is not that it accomplishes some new political synthesis. (Its
> politics and sociology are just as rote as everything else.) And it's not
> that it allows us to identify with the other side. Because that part
> doesn't really work and by the end induces a kind of vertigo. But *that's*
> what works -- the vertigo!

Watch Fanaa by all means, out of solidarity with Aamir Khan. Apparently, the BJP is angered by Khan, the handsome star of Fanaa (who plays Rehan Qadri, a Kashmiri boy who is serving in the Indian military but secretly working for the Kashmiri independence movement -- Rehan gets betrayed and killed by his love Zooni, a Kashmiri girl who is "a patriotic Indian," choosing her country over her man), because he supported the anti-Narmada Dam campaign.

Aamir listened to the grievances of the agitators with patience but did not utter a word. Clad in black T-shirt and jeans, the film actor also visited the 1984 Bhopal gas victims who have been demonstrating for release of relief fund.

"Last week when I was in Delhi, I passed by Jantar Mantar and was told about the two campaigns. I decided to come back and learn more about their problems," he later told reporters.

Khan said he was pained upon learning of the sufferings of the dam displacees. "I do not know about the technicalities involved in raising the height of the dam. What I do know is that farmers have been displaced from their land and they have lost their livelihood. Till the people who have already been displaced by the dam are not rehabilitated, the height of the dam should not be raised." (Onkar Singh, "Aamir Lends Support to Narmada Campaign," 14 April 2006, <http://in.rediff.com/news/2006/apr/14nba.htm>)</blockquote>

The state has even decided not to screen his new film, Fanaa, which releases worldwide on Friday. (Rediff Entertainment Bureau, "Aamir on Narmada: I Won't Apologise," 25 May 2006, <http://in.rediff.com/movies/2006/may/25aamir1.htm>)</blockquote>

In a statement, the party Polit Bureau said the reported assurance by Chief Minister Narendra Modi of police protection to cinemas showing the film was an eye-wash as it was under his leadership that front organisations of the Sangh combine were threatening cinema owners against showing the film.

The ire of the protesters was against the solidarity expressed by actor Aamir Khan with the demand for rehabilitation of thousands of tribals and peasant families displaced by the Narmada project. (" CPI(M) flays ban on Fanaa in Gujarat," 26 May 2006, <http://www.hindu.com/2006/05/26/stories/2006052619511500.htm>)</blockquote>

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>