[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 10 16:09:21 PDT 2006

Hmmm. Interesting Jerry. Your use of the term "non-experiential" here reminds me of my own ruminations of the place of the "unconscious" in phenomenology -- phenomenology has problems dealing with it, for the obvious reason that it isn't an object of experience. (It's interesting that Heidegger never mentioned Freud to my knowledge -- maybe he thought he was just a sex-obsessed nut, but I think there's a bigger reason; note also Sartre's dismissal of the idea of the subconscious.) I think just on the spur of the moment that a strict Heideggerian analysis of the "non-experiential" would fold it into the concept of the Nothing. It molds lived experience, while being unable to be thematized by it (that's really what the Nothing and Being are, when you come right down to it -- the borders of experience that cannot be themselves thematically encountered as a something but nevertheless control the content and form of experience). More on this tomorrow, I have to ruminate on it and it's 3 am here -- I have to be at the office at 10 tomorrow!

BTW thanks Ravi! I'm trained as a Heidegger scholar but never completed my dissertation -- it was interrupted by a "break" in Russia that turned into 6 years (probably a lifetime commitment) and a total divorce with academia -- and haven't read any of the scholarly work on Heidegger since that time. In the States I think I had most of Heidegger's collected works at home -- now I just have Sein und Zeit, which my mom brought me from Germany when she visited. So I am hardly an up-to-date expert. I do love the guy though.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!