[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Jun 10 18:09:52 PDT 2006

>Ravi wrote:
>
>I have never read Marx directly.

That's a great pity. I learned to think critically from him and I think pretty much every strand of philosopy (except for the positivists) owes him a great debt.

I don't know if I would call him a great writer -- he can get very Kantian on you very quickly and he loves to play with inversions...which can get tiresome. But he can be quite funny -- dry humor -- but funny. But most of all, he really and truly is interested in the truth more than in playing with words.

The 18th Brumaire is one of his best short pieces of writing.