[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jun 11 10:52:34 PDT 2006

Footnote:

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> For example, we know that some slight biological damage can take away
> our perceptions of other minds, of the existence of "other minds".
> This brings me to the conclusion that the very concept that their are
> "other minds" like my own and beside my own, the very concept that
> their our separate "selves" from me (no matter how we label these
> terms), is a derivative phenomenological structure dependent and
> perhaps even _created by non-experiential structures_ in our
> mind-brains.

Ordinarily it is quite proper on mail lists to ignore typographical errors, merely correcting them silently in our heads as we read the post. But perhaps in writing on topics (usually philosophical or neurological topics) in which fine distinctions make a real difference, writers should print out and proofread their posts several times before sending them. I _think_ I am following Jerry's post, and I find it interesting. But my grasp is tenuous enough that I will not trust my own guess as to the intended text represented here by "concept that their our separate 'selves'." "That there are separate 'selves'"? Or is "_our_ separate 'selves'" correct, and something is missing to give that phrase content?

Carrol