[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Jun 12 08:03:47 PDT 2006

Chris Doss

Well, Heidegger and strutuaraliism certainly do intersect, and I think it's not an accident that post-Heideggerians like Derrida attacked Levi-Straus. But anyway phenomenology is an analysis of experience as lived by a person. It is an analysis of the first-person point of view. Talk about "societies" and so forth is meaningless to phenomenology, except insofar as it relates to the first person. Just as physics and chemistry are meaningless from the phen. point of view, except insofar as it relates to the first person experience. Heidegger is trying to describe the structure of human experience in general, regardless of whether the human in question is Karl Marx, me, Charles Brown, Adam Smith, Adolph Hitler, Stalin, Ghandi, my third-grade teacher, a third-century Roman, or a neanderthal. Basically he's trying to eludicate what it means to be a "first person," describing the world as it appears to an individual, or rather describing the general structure of the world as experienced by an individual.

^^^^^ CB: _The_ Individual is a paradoxical concept in that the one thing all individuals have in common with other individuals is that each individual has something _not_ in common with all other individuals. Their commonality is uniqueness, a difference from all others. Their commonality qua individuals is each having something not in common with each of the other individuals.

Individuals, perhaps, also have in common the potential, as here and now living humans, subjects, free willed, self-determined beings to do something new. Individuals are able to _not_ follow their cultural tradition's rules in a given instance, to be transgressors.

Perhaps this is the insight of Sartre in saying that we, as individuals, are condemned to freedom.