[lbo-talk] that's abstract

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 15:42:52 PDT 2006

To make the point about exploitation, you don't need to say, and it's not generally true, that capitalists don't work, don't want to work, and seek to exploit you in order to be able not to work. Historically and presently capitalists have often worked rather hard. Henry Ford, John D. Rockefeller, Henry Frick, to name three, were not only hard, disciplined workers but actual creative innovators as well as evil sonsabitches. Of course some their kids are layabouts -- Conrad Hilton busted his butt in the hotel industry, Paris Hilton does other things with hers -- but she's a trust fund rentier, a coupon-clipper, not a capitalist.

However, the point about capitalists getting rich from the labor of others, and collectively coercing the rest of us to spend time we could be doing something else enriching them, is valid no matter how hard capitalists work. Ford, etc., may work hard, but they work no harder that the people on the assembly line or in the oil fields. They may contribute managerial skill and creative vision others lack, but at the same time the system, the profit from inhibits the development of managerial skill and creative vision among many of their employees who might manifest such traits if they didn't have to work on thee line or on a rig.

And most importantly, however hard they work, and indeed, however much of their capital they put at risk in entrepreneurial investments that might go splat, the basic source of their wealth derives from owning stuff that other people use to work with. If they didn't won that stuff, they'd still be creative and visionary managers, and we might might to reward them for that with extra remuneration-- not a lot, but a decent amount. The strange thing is the belief that they are entitled to fabulous wealth merely because they own stuff.

So, it's a confusing and erroneous distraction to imply that capitalist are lazy parasites. Parasites they may be, but they are not necessarily lazy, and often aren't. The best ones aren't. They don't want to be, and it would be foolish of them to be lazy -- if they left everything to managers, the managers would tend to rob the capitalists blind, feathering their own pockets at the capitalist's expense. And if the capitalists have unusual vision or entrepreneurial ability, goofing off would waste it.