[lbo-talk] violent crime up

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Jun 13 18:09:08 PDT 2006

Dennis Claxton writes:

> Switzerland is another frequent counter-example.

I'm always troubled by 'counter examples' to flawed points. There's no counter-example to the claim that the combination of American "culture" and millions of guns and gun owners results in 10,000 murders/year.

It's just bad statistics.

> Again, Archer says Australia, New Zealand, and Canada had similar
> frontier stories, but currently have comparatively low homicide
> rates.

Do you realize how dumb this sounds? Looking at historical artifacts from over a hundred years ago, about countries that were tiny fractions of the size they are today with very little resemblance to the modern version, and trying to suss out reasons for differing homicide rates!?

> Not to mention there's a pretty big difference between a single
> action revolver like those used in the old west and the weapons
> available now.

Actually very little difference, especially in the way that they are used that you are talking about.

Next?