[lbo-talk] violent crime up

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Jun 14 06:56:10 PDT 2006

> So history's bunk?

In this specific case, yes. In other cases? Sure. In all cases? Of course if you stuff an inflamatory hyperbolic statement into my mouth I'm going to choke on it.

That passes for discussion these days? Huh.

Ok, my turn: Are you predestined to be a violent criminal because you happen to live within the (now greatly expanded and widely populated by immigrants) borders of a country that is purported to have had a violent frontier mentality?

Maybe you are, but I'm not.

"Gun owner" is probably one of the top few (if not the largest, it's tough to tell) demographic groups in the US -- more than "smoker" or "union member" or "registered voter" or "Californian" ... it might even be bigger than "worker" -- you're telling me that this is the statistically meaningful attribute of those who murder with a gun?

I'm surprised that you'd fall for this explaination rather than scratching the surface a little bit to find other reasons that "the US is different" ...

/jordan