[lbo-talk] violent crime up

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Jun 14 12:30:59 PDT 2006

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> I was more thinking of places where unemployment and enrollment are
> high as places where social cohesion is the weekest. As far as
> enrollment is concerned, I was thinking about the fact that having so
> many young people away, when they normally would be productive and
> thus most probably contribute to social cohesion, is probably hurting
> those areas more so than having veterans coming back (something to
> which I was not meaning to refer to in the first place, sorry if that
> was not clear). So that in social-cohesion poor environment, state
> legitimized violence is more likely to produce violence based
> relations. ?
>
> Jean-Christophe

As far as I know, Archer hasn't explored how social cohesion moderates the "official violence during wartime" effect. Here's a somewhat related line of research: Cohen and Nisbett assessed homicide rates in matched Northern and Southern regions in the U. S. with high and low levels of social cohesion. They found, not too surprisingly, that Northern cities with high social cohesion tended to have lower homicide rates than Northern cities with low social cohesion. However, the reverse was true in the Southern cities: areas with high social cohesion tended to have higher homicide rates than areas with low social cohesion. C & N explain this in terms of the Southern "culture of honor": if you're well socialized into Southern culture, you're more likely to engage in aggressive conduct to defend personal or family honor.

Miles