[lbo-talk] CBS's $3 million dollar teen sex orgy scene

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 22:58:42 PDT 2006

Janet Jackson's nipple?

Well, how about this: CBS was fined $3 million by the FCC for airing the following "teen sex orgy" clip on "Without a Trace":

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2006/04/WithoutaTrace_Teen_orgy.wmv

Boing Boing! says:

"TV teen sex orgy complaints came from people who never saw the show:

The FCC fined CBS $3 million for the teen sex orgy scene in Without a Trace. Now CBS is saying the fine is invalid because the people who complained didn't even know what they were complaining about. They were just robotically following the orders of their cult leaders at the PTC and the American Family Association."

[at: http://www.boingboing.net/2006/06/14/tv_teen_sex_orgy_com.html ]

The CBS defense actually seems legit, to me. I posted the above info onto a trashy pop culture-type forum and probably the best response [from a teen!] was: "This is pretty mild compared to what's shown on MTV every half hour." And, oddly, the clip portrays "the orgy" in a negative light, not a positive one. Athough I'm sure if the orgy scene had been portrayed in a sex-positive fashion it would have garnered more complaints from the AFA and their crew.

-B.