[lbo-talk] why the Reps will win

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Jun 15 07:18:56 PDT 2006

On Thursday 15 June 2006 09:52, Doug Henwood wrote:
> <http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNote/story?id=156238>

My two cents on this subject:

To the extent that it makes any difference at all, I think it would actually be _worse_ if the Democrats took over the House and/or Senate this fall, than if they failed to do so. Worse because it would validate their strategy (if you could call it that) of proposing nothing and opposing nothing and waiting for the plum to fall into their laps because the Repubs have fucked up.

Of course, given the ideological system of the Democratic Party, all outcomes validate the theory: defeat shows that we weren't reactionary enough, victory shows that being reactionary is the way to win.

I realize that it's silly to expect the Democrats to be anything _but_ reactionary, except under extremely exceptional circumstances -- arguably twice in the last hundred years or so. So why am I indulging in these isle of Laputa speculations? Just the idle fun of scenarizing, I guess.

So here I am rooting for the Repubs. Given what both parties are trying to do, the Repubs are better at it. They deserve to win. They're the better team, no doubt about it.

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org