[lbo-talk] those damned Iraqis

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 11:58:20 PDT 2006

Quoting George Will:

An Army captain asked, "What kind of people loot dirt?" There are many answers to that question. Here is one: a kind of people who are hard to help.

=====================================

For a variety of reasons, I keep in regular contact with a small group of acquaintances; colleagues from past projects - that sort of person.

Many of these people are what passes nowadays for conservative - no real philosophical position to speak of, at least, not a coherent one. It's more a sort of cognitive Oort cloud...

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oort_Cloud>

You know the components: Wall Street's ups and downs are important, the 'free market' answers all questions, American actions are always good because they're the actions of good people who relentlessly mean well (even when they're doing bad things - nice cognitive trick, that).

And so on and so forth.

Recently I've noticed a change in the Oort cloud's mood regarding Iraq. The triumphalist rhetoric has faded away like morning fog by noon. What has replaced triumph is a slow burning anger. Ideally, this heat would be directed entirely against Team Bush and its fellow travelers: the architects of our most current set of woes.

But really, this is too much to ask for isn't it?

No, it's the Iraqis - those ungrateful "camel jockey" bastards - who're the focus of all this dark energy.

They're ungrateful and unwilling to recognize the brave sacrifices our troops are making to bring them freedom, democracy and god's greatest gift, our glorious free market.

So Iraq becomes just another bad neighborhood the nice people (who mean well, they always mean well) can write off.

'Listen, we tried' They say. 'But some people simply can't be helped.'

Interesting sorts of contradictions appear. The Oort cloud shouts, 'take all the oil and pull out our troops!' Which presents an interesting tactical challenge since oil theft requires military power. The Oort cloud bellows, 'we're bringing freedom to the Middle East!' Then, moments later, 'bomb those fuckers!'

A bloody-minded spirit of theoretical generosity; a species of functional madness, I think.

.d.

--------- Dr. Orpheus, could you tell the court what it is that you...do? You're a type of magician?

Well if you must call me that yes, but if you're after mere parlor tricks you'll be sorely disappointed. For if I reach behind your ear it will not be a nickel I pull out, but your VERY SOUL!

http://monroelab.net/blog/