[lbo-talk] rewriting history

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Jun 16 12:34:03 PDT 2006

On Friday 16 June 2006 15:25, Michael Pollak wrote:

> This reminds me of one of Russell Baker's most classic columns where he
> declared that every single president he had lived under in his long life had
> struck him as the worst president he'd ever experienced -- except that 20
> years later, after experiencing what came after, they invariably looked like
> statesmen by comparison.

Kind of a Newton/Leibniz thing here: this has always been Smith's Fourteenth Law Of Life -- every president makes his predecessor look good. I had no idea that Baker had discovered it independently. I flatter myself that my formulation is more compact, like Leibniz' notation.

--

Michael J. Smith

mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org