[lbo-talk] Blogosphere [was Re: Karl Rove Beats The Rap]

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jun 16 13:44:34 PDT 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 4:28 PM, ravi wrote:

> Also, even from the MSM I don't really get that much news, really.
> Leaving out all the junk that I am uninterested in (ranging from cat
> rescues to Bush's latest pronouncements), yes, they do report on a few
> things that are of interest, such as the Scooter Libby indictment. But
> even there, there is probably some independent blogging outlet that
> carried such news too. Hell, just from the format of his site, one
> could
> call Matt Drudge the grandfather of blogging, and he used to be the
> best
> source to go to for everything from "breaking news" to election
> results.
>
> Next point: I like Max Sawicky's (or D**2's) blog (if only MBS
> would use
> more meaningful titles!!) a lot more than say a Mandel BW column or
> NPR's Marketplace. For analysis, commentary and wit, the "blogosphere"
> is (for me) a lot more satisfying.

Well the hell with Mandel - he's a cheerleader. But the rest of Business Week is consistently smart & informative.

I gotta wonder what "MSM" you read. The much- and often deservedly maligned NYT is still a rich source of news, as are the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times. There's nothing in the alt.media that can hold a candle to them. Add the wires like Reuters and Bloomberg, and services like the BBC, and you really don't need much more other than good books (and my radio show) to know what's going on. Bush is the president of the U.S., which, as the Sparts say, makes him the chief executive of the world bourgeoisie, so his pronouncements, as idiotic and/or brutal as they are, are not trivial. Maybe living in NJ you're exposed only to the Newark Star-Ledger or the Bergen Record.

Doug