[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn going the Hitchens way?

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Mon Jun 19 10:21:09 PDT 2006

At around 19/6/06 1:04 pm, Carl Remick wrote:
>> From: ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org>
>>
>> Outing a CIA employee. What’s wrong with that?
>>
>> The last sentence alone seems to distance him from reality. What is
>> wrong with outing a CIA employee? In the minds of the American public, I
>> would think, everything!
>
> I think Cockburn is talking about ultimate objective reality and not
> what will appeal to the terminally deluded American public. The CIA is
> a pack of professional pychopaths who have caused no end of evil in the
> world, so in that sense outing a CIA operative is always reason for
> celebration.

But, Carl, what appeals to the U.S public has a *huge* impact on ultimate objective reality! A lot more, I will submit, than hoping that one (or a few) CIA operatives will be outed, as part of a larger scheme, by the right, and such outing will rid us of the evils of the CIA.

Even if we can demonstrate that the CIA is not even a necessary evil (that description being the farthest, IMHO, that any USer will accommodate at this stage), the path to that is not through cheering the outing (and at least in the minds of the public, putting in danger) of its employees.

I guess this is a classic revolutionary vs evolutionary (or worse: Leftist vs Liberal) sort of argument. But even if so, that is not how Cockburn paints himself or his argument. He does talk about the left and even of the Democrats in terms of the politics of the day and what should be our focus, etc. He is not (unlike perhaps some members of this list) dismissing as irrelevant, and even dangerous, any distractions from the improbable but only authentic option: the revolution.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/